30 March 2010

Whilst i'm waiting for films to develop..

As much as I love working with film and I am not yet developing my own colour film (something I intend to teach myself in due course) I find the wait for results gets me out of a creative flow, so I decided to broaden my project so that I could have some side projects to combat this.

The pinhole work shows the world in a way that Isn't possible with the human eye. The process edits the image. So I decided to look at ways that I could shoot the world digitally in a similar way, so using techniques that distort and change ones perception of the world or to capture things we simply cant see.

The first and most obvious technique I though of using was long exposure, which is what I was doing with the pinholes, however obviously now it is a choice!

Here are some of my initial images..

This is just a standard long exposure shot, however it is something I have never done before so felt I had to learn the basics before I could develop from here, I particularly love what long exposure does to the streetlights!


By rotating the camera 180degrees during its exposure I have completely transformed the pretty mundane view into an abstract image which is still a representation of the location..


This last image of this particular shoot shows a rotation of 90degrees each time, further distorting the view in a way we obviously couldn't usually see. I like how it is possible to enhance the status of a view, I wander through this location often and pay it little attention however presented in this way it feels more important almost..


On a side note, I have decided to get back on DeviantArt after a rather long period of neglect. I felt further internet presence would be beneficial to me as an artist and useful to have a portfolio of my work but more importantly the site is so inspirational and it is great to get some feedback on what I am up to from a wide audience. I am overwhelmed with how much support I have already received in the last 4 days!

>> Click away if you fancy a browse!


No comments:

Post a Comment